Closing arguments in 26/11 trial in US today
Chicago: The prosecution and the defence rested Monday in the Mumbai terror trial after jurors were shown the videotaped interrogation of Pakistan-born Canadian businessman Tahawwur Rana, who is accused of helping the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) in the 26/11 attack.
Roughly 10 minutes of the video was played in Chicago Federal court. Rana, who had waived his Miranda Rights to remain silent, spoke quietly and calmly to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and without his attorney present, ABC News reported.
On the tape, Rana has dark brown hair. Two years later, his hair and beard are both white.
Rana, who is accused of providing the cover of his immigration business to confessed Pakistani American terrorist David Coleman Headley for scouting targets for the Mumbai attack by the LeT, was questioned for almost six hours after his arrest Oct 18, 2009.
Some of the questioning involves Rana`s ties to Headley aka Daood Gilani, who testified about Rana`s role in attack and an attack plan on a Denmark newspaper that published cartoons of Prophet Muhammad in 2005.
Rana`s attorneys called only two witnesses, a computer expert and an immigration attorney after federal prosecutors called the last of their eight witnesses earlier in the day. Rana himself did not take the stand.
Closing arguments are expected Tuesday in the trial that has been closely watched around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth