Closing arguments in 26/11 trial in US today
Chicago: The prosecution and the defence rested Monday in the Mumbai terror trial after jurors were shown the videotaped interrogation of Pakistan-born Canadian businessman Tahawwur Rana, who is accused of helping the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) in the 26/11 attack.
Roughly 10 minutes of the video was played in Chicago Federal court. Rana, who had waived his Miranda Rights to remain silent, spoke quietly and calmly to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and without his attorney present, ABC News reported.
On the tape, Rana has dark brown hair. Two years later, his hair and beard are both white.
Rana, who is accused of providing the cover of his immigration business to confessed Pakistani American terrorist David Coleman Headley for scouting targets for the Mumbai attack by the LeT, was questioned for almost six hours after his arrest Oct 18, 2009.
Some of the questioning involves Rana`s ties to Headley aka Daood Gilani, who testified about Rana`s role in attack and an attack plan on a Denmark newspaper that published cartoons of Prophet Muhammad in 2005.
Rana`s attorneys called only two witnesses, a computer expert and an immigration attorney after federal prosecutors called the last of their eight witnesses earlier in the day. Rana himself did not take the stand.
Closing arguments are expected Tuesday in the trial that has been closely watched around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot