Cloudbursts take 14 lives in Leh
Leh: At least 14 people were killed and many more still missing in a series of cloudbursts that hit parts of this town during the night.
According to information available, series of cloudburst took place in this Himalayan town located 424 kilometres from Srinagar and mainly hit Choglumsar area, 13-KM
from here, where 14 bodies have been recovered so far, officials said.
The BSNL network had completely been damaged and the runway of the civil airport had been cut off with the rest of the country as the runway was damaged at various places.
While authorities feared the causality toll to be high, relief and rescue workers had so far managed to take out 14 bodies from the BSNL colony.
"We are expecting more bodies and the actual damage will be known only after the water receded," a senior official said.
The communication system with this area had been badly affected because of the cloudburst which was accompanied by heavy rains.
Other areas along the Sindhu river were yet to be accessed and it was feared the human loss would be heavy.
Many buildings were washed away in the heavy downpour, the officials said.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, while expressing grief over the tragedy, has directed the civil and police administration to undertake relief and rescue work at
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred