Club terror cases against youths from Azamgarh: Cong
New Delhi: Congress on Tuesday demanded that
all criminal cases against terror suspects from Azamgarh
running in different courts in the country be clubbed together
to ensure speedy trial.
Congress General Secretary Digvijay Singh accompanied
by several prominent personalities of Azamgarh met Home
Minister P Chidambaram to give him a representation in this
He asked Chidambaram to club 26 such cases against
people hailing from Uttar Pradesh`s Azamgarh district who have
been arrested on terrorism and other related criminal charges
by police of different states.
The Home Minister assured the delegation that he would
seek legal opinion on the matter from Law Ministry and will
take a decision after that, official sources said.
The government may also look into setting up of
special courts for the purpose, the sources said.
Digvijay has recently made several trips to the
district, including the one after the arrest of Shahzad Ahmed
in connection with 2008 Delhi serial blasts.
He also met the families of two Muslim youths who were
killed during the Batla House encounter. Singh had also
requested Rahul Gandhi to visit the area and interact with the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach