CM to apprise GoM of govt`s position on Munak canal dispute
New Delhi: Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit
on Thursday said she would soon apprise the Group of Ministers headed
by Union Home Minister P Chidambaram about her government`s
position on the Munak canal dispute with neighbouring Haryana.
With Delhi and Haryana failing to amicably settle
their water sharing dispute, the Centre last month had set up
a Group of Ministers (GoM) to find an amicable solution to the
dispute between the two states.
"I will soon aprise our position on the issue to the
GoM," Dikshit said.
The canal was constructed by Haryana with financial
assistance of Rs 350 crore given by Delhi Government on the
condition that the national capital will be supplied 80 MGD
water from it. But later, Haryana refused to supply the water
to the city.
The GoM will look into the argument being given by the
Delhi government demanding its share that it has paid around
Rs 350 crore for the construction of nearly 80 per cent of the
channel in its territory.
Haryana has opposed any water sharing, saying it has
been generously providing water to its neighbour even though
its own demand has gone up in the recent years.
Besides Chidambaram, the other members of the GoM are
HRD minister Kapil Sibal, Law minister M Veerappa Moily and
Water Resources minister Salman Khursheed.
The 102-km canal between Munak in Haryana border and
Haiderpur in Delhi was first proposed in 2003.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority