CMs conference on internal security tomorrow
New Delhi: A new security architecture outlined
by Home Minister P Chidambaram, pro-active action against
Naxals and increased infiltration attempts from across
Indo-Pak border will be high on the agenda of a meeting of
Chief Ministers convened by the Centre here on Sunday.
The meeting, to be inaugurated by Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh, will also focus on strengthening of counter terrorism
and intelligence capabilities, strengthening the border and
The conference assumes importance against the backdrop of
the pro-active policy being pursued by the government to combat
Naxalism, increased infiltration attempts from across Indo-Pak
border and the success of anti-terror measures in the past
six to eight months.
Cross-border terrorism will also be discussed threadbare
at the day-long conference organised by the Home Ministry.
Activities of Pakistan-based terror outfits and situation
in Jammu and Kashmir as well as in the Northeast, combating
economic offences, especially Fake Indian Currency Notes and
will also come under the scanner at the meeting.
The Conference would also focus on the review of action
points identified in the last such meet in August 2009, which
covered wide ranging areas of capacity building in the state
police and police reforms.
The conference will review the information collection
system -- both technical and human intelligence -- its proper
sharing and necessary action, procurement of arms and
ammunition, filling up of vacancies besides providing training
to security forces.
At the last conference of Chief Ministers on August 17,
the Prime Minister had said cross-border terrorism remains the
most pervasive threat to the country and there was credible
information of plans of terrorist groups in Pakistan to carry
out attacks in India.
This will be the third meeting of Chief Ministers
convened by the Centre to discuss the internal security after
26/11 Mumbai terror attack and Chidambaram taking over the
Home Ministry. The previous two meetings were held on January
and August 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown