CMs conference on internal security tomorrow
New Delhi: A new security architecture outlined
by Home Minister P Chidambaram, pro-active action against
Naxals and increased infiltration attempts from across
Indo-Pak border will be high on the agenda of a meeting of
Chief Ministers convened by the Centre here on Sunday.
The meeting, to be inaugurated by Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh, will also focus on strengthening of counter terrorism
and intelligence capabilities, strengthening the border and
The conference assumes importance against the backdrop of
the pro-active policy being pursued by the government to combat
Naxalism, increased infiltration attempts from across Indo-Pak
border and the success of anti-terror measures in the past
six to eight months.
Cross-border terrorism will also be discussed threadbare
at the day-long conference organised by the Home Ministry.
Activities of Pakistan-based terror outfits and situation
in Jammu and Kashmir as well as in the Northeast, combating
economic offences, especially Fake Indian Currency Notes and
will also come under the scanner at the meeting.
The Conference would also focus on the review of action
points identified in the last such meet in August 2009, which
covered wide ranging areas of capacity building in the state
police and police reforms.
The conference will review the information collection
system -- both technical and human intelligence -- its proper
sharing and necessary action, procurement of arms and
ammunition, filling up of vacancies besides providing training
to security forces.
At the last conference of Chief Ministers on August 17,
the Prime Minister had said cross-border terrorism remains the
most pervasive threat to the country and there was credible
information of plans of terrorist groups in Pakistan to carry
out attacks in India.
This will be the third meeting of Chief Ministers
convened by the Centre to discuss the internal security after
26/11 Mumbai terror attack and Chidambaram taking over the
Home Ministry. The previous two meetings were held on January
and August 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it