Coal block scam resurfaces in Lok Sabha
New Delhi: The coal block scam resurfaced in the Lok Sabha Wednesday, with JD(U) equating the allocations to the sale of cinema tickets and seeking their cancellation following CAG estimate of a loss of over Rs 1.86 lakh crore.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, JD(U) chief Sharad Yadav also said that the Supreme Court`s latest directive to CBI not to share information on coal block allocation probe with the political executive showed how the government had lost credibility.
"The coal blocks have been allocated almost like the sale of cinema tickets. ... The apex court`s directive to CBI shows that the court too has been disappointed with the government. This is not good for parliamentary democracy," Yadav said.
"I can agree that mistakes can be committed by the government. But if mistakes are committed, the government must own up responsibility and take corrective measures," he said.
The JD(U) leader said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who was present in the House, "should accept the responsibility if in your assessment mistakes have been made. Then correct these mistakes and cancel all the coal block allocations."
The Supreme Court had yesterday said the allocation of coal blocks prima facie seemed to be arbitrary and warned of cancelling these if procedures were not followed.
Taking up a public interest litigation following the CAG report, the court also directed the CBI not to share information of its probe into the scam with the "political executive".
After the CAG had submitted its report on the coal block allocations last year, the opposition had stalled Parliament during its Winter Session for several days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India