Coal Ministry deputes officer to help CBI with missing records
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Monday, February 18, 2013, 17:05
  
New Delhi: Coal Ministry has deputed a joint secretary-level official to provide CBI with the missing files related to the probe in the coal blocks allocation scam after the agency claimed before the Public Accounts Committee that nearly 40 files are still not with it.

CBI sources said that the Ministry has deputed the officer to liaison with the agency team in tracing files related to allotment of coal block under its investigations.

Last week, CBI Director Ranjit Sinha had claimed before the parliamentary panel that agency's probe has slowed down as the coal ministry has not provided all related files.

The sources said since matters are more than 20 years old, it is possible that files may not be available, lost or damaged in the record rooms of the ministry and it does not in any way imply that they are being withheld by the ministry intentionally to stall the probe.

They said files related to nearly 40 coal blocks are awaited by the agency to proceed with the probe.

CBI has so far registered nine regular cases and three preliminary enquiries in connection with its probe in the coal scam. The agency had registered last set of FIRs against two companies in October last year.

Last month, the agency had assured the Supreme Court that it would complete its investigation in the coal block allocation scam within four months.

The agency has booked Vinni Iron and Steel, Nav Bharat Steel, JLD Yavatmal, JAS Infrastructure and Power and AMR Iron and Steel, Vikash Metal and Power Ltd, Grace Industries Ltd, Green Infrastructure and Kamal Steel for alleged cheating, forgery and misrepresentation of facts in their applications for coal block.

PTI


First Published: Monday, February 18, 2013, 17:04


comments powered by Disqus