Coal row: CBI seeks more time from CVC to submit report
New Delhi: CBI has sought more time from Central Vigilance Commission to submit its status report on its probe into alleged irregularities in coal blocks allocation and utilisation.
CBI, which has registered a preliminary enquiry (PE) after receiving a reference from CVC, could not finalise its report in three months time frame because of "complex nature" of the case, agency sources said.
They said a three-month time limit, which expired on August 31, is a flexible one and they can seek more time from the anti-corruption watchdog.
In its request seeking more time, the agency is understood to have intimated CVC about the alleged prima-facie irregularities it has found about the beneficiary companies.
Meanwhile, CBI teams are camping in Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand and examining officials concerned of the companies under the scanner of the agency.
A CBI spokesperson had clarified that no raids were taking place and the teams were there as part of the agency`s ongoing PE into the alleged coal scam.
At least 10 companies, which benefited from the coal block allocation, are under CBI scanner for alleged violation of norms, they said.
The sources said that the agency is likely to register cases in different batches and nearly eight companies could be booked in the first set.
They said CBI has already questioned senior bureaucrats who were overseeing allocation of coal blocks during 2006-09.
Meanwhile, the agency is also taking into cognisance the Comptroller and Auditor General report on alleged coal blocks issue which was tabled in Parliament recently.
The sources, however, made it clear that CBI would not be going into policy issues but will limit its role to aspects where criminality could be established.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced