Coal row: CBI seeks more time from CVC to submit report
New Delhi: CBI has sought more time from Central Vigilance Commission to submit its status report on its probe into alleged irregularities in coal blocks allocation and utilisation.
CBI, which has registered a preliminary enquiry (PE) after receiving a reference from CVC, could not finalise its report in three months time frame because of "complex nature" of the case, agency sources said.
They said a three-month time limit, which expired on August 31, is a flexible one and they can seek more time from the anti-corruption watchdog.
In its request seeking more time, the agency is understood to have intimated CVC about the alleged prima-facie irregularities it has found about the beneficiary companies.
Meanwhile, CBI teams are camping in Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand and examining officials concerned of the companies under the scanner of the agency.
A CBI spokesperson had clarified that no raids were taking place and the teams were there as part of the agency`s ongoing PE into the alleged coal scam.
At least 10 companies, which benefited from the coal block allocation, are under CBI scanner for alleged violation of norms, they said.
The sources said that the agency is likely to register cases in different batches and nearly eight companies could be booked in the first set.
They said CBI has already questioned senior bureaucrats who were overseeing allocation of coal blocks during 2006-09.
Meanwhile, the agency is also taking into cognisance the Comptroller and Auditor General report on alleged coal blocks issue which was tabled in Parliament recently.
The sources, however, made it clear that CBI would not be going into policy issues but will limit its role to aspects where criminality could be established.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre