Coal scam: CBI hands over fresh list of `missing` files to AG
New Delhi: CBI has handed over to the Attorney General a fresh list with a pruned down number of files related to coal block allocations which are still awaited by it for its probe into the scam.
CBI sources said that the original figure of 225 files had been brought down after a meeting with Coal Ministry officials in which it was found that some of the records sought by the agency were available in a different set of files.
The sources said that after the reconciliation, CBI has handed over a fresh, comprehensive list to Attorney General Goolam E Vahanvati containing details of the files which are crucial for the probe and were still awaited.
Holding that the missing documents were "vital" to the probe, Supreme Court had directed Coal Ministry to file an FIR with CBI if it ultimately failed to trace any of the documents sought by the agency.
On August 29, the bench had asked CBI to provide within five days a list of documents, files and information sought by it to the Coal Ministry, which in turn was required to furnish the same in two weeks` time.
Complying with the Supreme Court directives, a meeting between CBI and Coal Ministry officials was held yesterday for a detailed discussion on the files in question.
According to CBI sources, during the meeting it was found that several records sought by the agency were available in different files, to which ministry officials said that the same could be duly provided.
The sources said ministry officials assured CBI that they would make every effort to look for the files sought by the agency.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!