Coal scam: CBI may examine screening committee mem
New Delhi: The CBI, which is probing coal blocks scam, may examine members of screening committee which was part of the coal blocks allocation process.
CBI sources said examination could be to take their help in understanding the alleged irregularities in the coal block allocation and their utilisation by the allottees.
However, the agency sources clarified that so far they have not found involvement of any of the members of the screening committee and examination would be to clarify and understand issues involved in the allocation of coal blocks.
The allocation of coal blocks is done through mechanism of an inter-ministerial inter-governmental body called screening committee which is chaired by Coal Secretary.
It includes secretary of nine ministries having interests in coal, besides heads of various PSUs, and Chief Secretaries of coal supplying states are also part of it.
The role of screening committee is to decide on the eligibility of applicant seeking allocation of coal through detailed scrutiny.
Meanwhile, the agency has received crucial documents from the Coal Ministry and is scrutinising them, they said.
The CBI had initiated a preliminary enquiry in connection with the alleged irregularities in the utilisation and allocation of coal blocks allocated to private companies between 2006 and 2009.
The agency has registered the PE, which is the first step of initiating the CBI probe, against unknown persons in connection with a complaint referred to it by the Central Vigilance Commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!