Coal scam: Let PM make a statement, Congress appeals to BJP
New Delhi: Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla on Monday confirmed that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will make a statement on CAG report on coal blocks allocation in Parliament.
“Prime Minister will make statement in both Houses of Parliament today and will clear all the doubts regarding the coal blocks allocation issue,” Shukla said.
Dr Singh is expected to make his statement at 12 noon today.
Addressing the mediapersons Shukla said, “I would request main Opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) to allow the Prime Minister to make the statement,” adding, “in a democracy the other side should also be heard.”
“Let PM make the statement and if anyone has doubts they can ask questions.”
He also accused the BJP of adopting double standards on the reports of the CAG.
Taking on BJP, the Congress leader said the opposition party has problem with CAG report when it is criticising the BJP ruled states like Chhattisgarh, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh, but when it comes to the Centre its view point changes completely regarding the auditor general report.
Shukla’s statement comes after Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh said that CAG report on coal blocks allocation regarding his state government is hypothetical.
The CAG had earlier this month revealed that the lack of transparency in the allocation of coal blocks to private players resulted in a loss of a whopping Rs.1.85 lakh crore (USD 37 billion) to the exchequer as on March 11 last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends