Coal scam: PM can’t escape responsibility, says BJP
New Delhi: The BJP on Wednesday remained firm on its demand for Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s resignation on the coal allocation issue and insisted that the only way to end the present impasse in Parliament is for him to take responsibility for the Rs 1.86 lakh crore loss suggested by CAG.
Drawing a comparison between the 2G spectrum allocation scam and the coal allocation controversy, Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley told reporters that while in the former, Singh was politically and "vicariously" responsible, in the latter he is directly involved.
"The only way to break the deadlock in Parliament is if the Prime Minister takes responsibility (for the coal scam) and acts accordingly," Jaitley said.
The BJP leader maintained that Singh was directly complicit in the coal allocation case - in which the CAG has said there was an estimated loss of Rs 1.86 Lakh crore - as he held the Coal Ministry portfolio for five of the last eight years of UPA rule.
"There is no way that he can escape responsibility for this monumental loss," Jaitley said.
BJP contended that the decision to go for auction of coal blocks was taken in 2004 but it has not been implemented till now though eight years have passed.
It has refuted the Centre`s contention that this delay was caused as some of the states were opposed to auction, saying Coal comes under the Centre List and states have no say.
The main Opposition has alleged this delay has helped some companies make "windfall gains" in these years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation