Coal scam: SC raps CBI, asks it to file all chargesheets by March 28
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday directed the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to file five remaining chargesheets in connection with the coal blocks allocation scam.
The apex court passed the order after the CBI submitted a status report informing it about the progress made in the coal scam probe and on filing chargesheet in one of the cases registered by the probe agency in 2012.
The apex court directed the CBI to file the remaining chargesheets by March 28.
The Supreme Court had asked CBI, during the last hearing on February 11, to submit a status report about filing of chargesheet in six of the cases finalised by the agency.
CBI has filed over 16 FIRs which included those against AMR Iron and Steel, JLD Yavatmal Energy, Vini Iron and Steel Udyog, JAS Infrastructure Capital Pvt Ltd, Grace Industries, Jindal Steel and Power, Rathi Steel and Power Ltd, Jharkhand Ispat, Green Infrastructure, Kamal Sponge, Pushp Steel, Hindalco, BLA Industries, Castron Technologies and Castron Mining and Nav Bharat Power Private Limited.
These FIRs were registered after the agency probed three preliminary enquiries related to coal block allocation between 2006 and 2009, 1993 and 2004 and projects given under a government scheme.
CBI also informed the apex court about the permission sought from nine states which were reluctant in allowing the agency to conduct probe in their jurisdiction.
CBI had been directed to file chargesheet in all the cases finalised by it by first week of March but the agency had moved a petition on March four seeking more time to file the charge sheet in the cases.
In its earlier status report before the Supreme court, CBI had said inquiries in respect of 87 companies had been finalised besides probe in respect of 38 companies had been concluded.
It was stated that reports were in the process of scrutiny for getting final order from the competent authority.
CBI had informed the court that field inquiries pertaining to 149 out of 169 companies had been completed and similar probe pertaining to the remaining 20 companies, including ultra mega power projects (UMPPs) and coal to liquid (CTL), was in progress.
CBI had informed the court that inquires and investigation in other PEs and all RCs would be completed by April 30.
Given the dimension and spread of the scam, the court had ordered CBI and Enforcement Directorate to "share information with each other in respect of the matters having bearing on investigation of money laundering and foreign exchange and ensure that the investigation is not hampered in any manner whatsoever".
According to the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG), an estimated loss of Rs 1.86 lakh crores was caused to the national exchequer in the coal block allocation scam.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note