Coalgate: AG apologises in SC for losing cool during arguments
New Delhi: Attorney General GE Vahanvati on Tuesday apologised before the Supreme Court for losing his cool during arguments in the coal blocks allocation scam case yesterday.
The AG said that it was not meant to show any disrespect to the bench.
"I am sorry for whatever happened yesterday," he told a bench headed by Justice RM Lodha.
Responding to Vahanvati`s remark, Justice Lodha, in a lighter vein, said, "I thought it was because of weather and heat" and asked the Attorney General to proceed with his arguments.
Pushed to the corner by a volley of questions raised by the apex court for not placing all records, Vahanvati, who is known for his gentle demeanour, had yesterday got agitated, saying, "I cannot carry everything in my head".
The Centre was yesterday pulled up by the court which said its stand on coal block allocation has been "contradictory" to its earlier position, prompting a flustered AG to state that it is "very difficult" and "tremendous strain" to respond to all queries.
"It’s very difficult. It is a tremendous strain. I cannot carry everything in my head. Once I argue on one aspect, another question arises on another aspect. How would I go ahead," he had said.
The apex court had asked the AG for details of 218 coal block allocations by the government and told him to explain block wise allotment of the natural resource.
The AG, who found it difficult to respond to the queries to the court`s satisfaction, had appeared annoyed and sought time to place all documents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez