Coalgate: AG opposes ASG`s claim, says didn`t see CBI report
New Delhi: Attorney General G E Vahanwati on Tuesday found himself on the backfoot in the Supreme Court while reiterating his stand of not knowing the contents of the CBI probe report in coal scam in the wake of allegations of his colleague Harin Raval that he had perused and settled the draft report.
"Since a lot of things have been said and the letter (of ASG Raval) has been leaked yesterday. I am pained. I never had the copy of the status report. I did not have the copy even today," the AG submitted before a bench headed by Justice RM Lodha.
Referring to the letter written to him by ASG Raval, Vahanvati said, "Somebody is taking my name. I am not taking the name of that person. Today, I don`t have the copy. I only said I will defend the Centre to the best of my ability."
Contrary to claims made by the ASG, who put in his papers as the law officer this evening, Vahanvati said that he was not aware of the contents of the draft report, shared with the Law Minister, PMO and the Coal Ministry.
Earlier, Raval had shot off a letter to Vahanvati alleging that he has been made a "scapegoat" in the matter.
"You (AG) will also kindly recall that on 6th March, 2013, while I was in Court, I received a message from your end, asking me to see the Law Minister at 12.30 with the Status Report...Only one of Status Report of one of the preliminary inquiries was shown to the Law Minister and was perused by him as well as by you. Certain suggestions were made, including by you, to the
CBI, some of which were accepted. No suggestions emanated from me.
"In compliance of the above, the CBI officials brought the drafts which were perused and settled by you Sir. I was present in your residential office" Raval said in his letter.
"...On account of your (AG) statement, I felt embarrassed and was forced to take a stand, in Court, consistent with your submission made as Attorney General for India, that the contents of the Status Report were not known to you and that they were not shared with the Government," the leaked letter said, adding "I have a feeling that I am sought to be made scapegoat but I am confident that truth will always prevail."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks