Coalgate: BJP to boycott all meetings called by LS Speaker
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In the wake of Supreme Court’s scathing criticism of the government`s interference in the CBI probe into the allocation of coal blocks, the main opposition party BJP on Tuesday said that it will boycott all meetings called by Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar and the Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath.
The reaction from the Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj came hours after the apex court slammed the CBI for sharing its probe report with the government officials and Law Minister Ashwani Kumar.
Addressing a press briefing Sushma attacked the government and the UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi blaming her for inciting her ministers in Parliament to disrupt her speech.
Sushma said that Sonia has no respect for the democratic institution and Parliamentary procedures. Sushma added that the BJP will not move a no-confidence motion against the government.
The apex court also asked the CBI director to file an affidavit stating the changes made in the draft report vetted by Law Minister Ashwani Kumar.
While underlining the need to liberate the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) from extraneous influences, an apex court bench headed by Justice R.M. Lodha said the affidavit to be filed by the agency`s director should be "absolutely complete and truthful".
The court has also sought the names and other details of the officers engaged in the investigation into the allocation of coal blocks.
During the course of the hearing that lasted nearly two hours, the court enquired whether Law Minister Ashwani Kumar had the authority to call for status reports from the investigating agencies.
The court noted that the manner in which the probe had been interfered with frustrated the very independence of the investigating agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months