Coalgate: Cong hits back at BJP on criticism of CAG
New Delhi: Congress Wednesday hit back at BJP reminding it of the criticism of CAG by its leaders in the past as the opposition party met President Pranab Mukherjee, demanding his intervention on the coal mines allocation issue and attacks by Congress on the national auditor.
"Congress never criticised any Constitutional body, including CAG. We have been maintaining only one thing--all organizations should work within their remit.
"On the other hand, BJP leaders Arun shourie, Arun Jaitley and former NDA convener George Fernades had attacked CAG on many occassions using insulting words. We never used such insulting words," Party spokesperson Rashid Alvi said.
He quoted from a recent Supereme Court order that quashed a PIL related to CAG report on Delhi airport saying the SC has observed that a final conclusion cannot be reached on the basis of a CAG report.
Alvi said the court has noted that the CAG report has to go to PAC and then debated by Parliament before conclusions are drawn.
The Congress spokesperson said "formulating a policy is the domain of the government and not CAG".
Alvi`s reaction came hours after a BJP delegation led by L K Advani met Mukherjee and submitted a memorandum expressing "deep anguish and profound concern" over the Prime Minister and Congress questioning the CAG report on coal scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Olympics 2016: IOC faces historic call on Russia Rio ban
- Kashmir unrest over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew lifted from these four districts - FULL DETAILS
- Salman Khan plans a special birthday party for alleged girlfriend Iulia Vantur? - Know more
- Major water crisis in Chandigarh, Mohali and Panchkula - Know reason behind it
- Two Mexican kidnappers sentenced to 520 years in prison