Coalgate: Cong hits back at BJP on criticism of CAG
New Delhi: Congress Wednesday hit back at BJP reminding it of the criticism of CAG by its leaders in the past as the opposition party met President Pranab Mukherjee, demanding his intervention on the coal mines allocation issue and attacks by Congress on the national auditor.
"Congress never criticised any Constitutional body, including CAG. We have been maintaining only one thing--all organizations should work within their remit.
"On the other hand, BJP leaders Arun shourie, Arun Jaitley and former NDA convener George Fernades had attacked CAG on many occassions using insulting words. We never used such insulting words," Party spokesperson Rashid Alvi said.
He quoted from a recent Supereme Court order that quashed a PIL related to CAG report on Delhi airport saying the SC has observed that a final conclusion cannot be reached on the basis of a CAG report.
Alvi said the court has noted that the CAG report has to go to PAC and then debated by Parliament before conclusions are drawn.
The Congress spokesperson said "formulating a policy is the domain of the government and not CAG".
Alvi`s reaction came hours after a BJP delegation led by L K Advani met Mukherjee and submitted a memorandum expressing "deep anguish and profound concern" over the Prime Minister and Congress questioning the CAG report on coal scam.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India