Coalgate derails Parliament for third day
New Delhi: The proceedings of Parliament continued to be disrupted on Thursday with BJP members, who have been demanding resignation of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh over CAG`s findings on extending undue benefits to the tune of Rs 1.86 lakh crore on coal block allocations, rushing to the Well in both Houses renewing their demand.
Both the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha were adjourned till 12 noon amid chaos immediately after they assembled.
Rajya Sabha Chairman Hamid Ansari met leaders of all parties in a bid to end the deadlock but the meeting ended inconclusively.
The slogan shouting continued when both the Houses reassembled at 12 noon. The Lok Sabha Chair then adjourned the House first till 2 pm and then for the day, while the Rajya Sabha was first adjourned till 12.30 pm, then till 2 pm and finally for the day.
The government meanwhile today launched a counter-offensive on seeking to put BJP and the Left in the dock over their suggestions in 2005 against auction of coal blocks.
Countering the opposition offensive, Congress members in the Lok Sabha were seen in the aisles waving copies of newspapers and raising slogans against the BJP. They displayed newspaper reports which said the BJP, in 2005, had told the Centre that auction of coal blocks will hit the industry.
The House plunged into turmoil as members of Opposition and Treasury benches clashed, with Congress members insisting that it was the BJP which had opposed auction of coal blocks and was blaming the Centre for it.
Interestingly, members of JD-U, a key constituent of the BJP-led NDA, did not join the BJP members in the Well. While the BJP has been on the offensive in demanding Singh`s resignation, the JD-U has been pressing for a debate.
"Pradhan Mantri Istifa do (Prime Minister should resign)," shouted the opposition members in the Rajya Sabha. In reply, the Congress members shouted "Pradhan Mantri Zindabad" and "UPA Sarkar Zindabad".
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations
- Assam BJP leader's son kidnapped, ULFA releases ISIS-style video
- Amazon working on music subscription service for $5 a month
- Outstanding! Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' is unstoppable at the Box Office – Read more