Coalgate derails Parliament for third day
New Delhi: The proceedings of Parliament continued to be disrupted on Thursday with BJP members, who have been demanding resignation of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh over CAG`s findings on extending undue benefits to the tune of Rs 1.86 lakh crore on coal block allocations, rushing to the Well in both Houses renewing their demand.
Both the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha were adjourned till 12 noon amid chaos immediately after they assembled.
Rajya Sabha Chairman Hamid Ansari met leaders of all parties in a bid to end the deadlock but the meeting ended inconclusively.
The slogan shouting continued when both the Houses reassembled at 12 noon. The Lok Sabha Chair then adjourned the House first till 2 pm and then for the day, while the Rajya Sabha was first adjourned till 12.30 pm, then till 2 pm and finally for the day.
The government meanwhile today launched a counter-offensive on seeking to put BJP and the Left in the dock over their suggestions in 2005 against auction of coal blocks.
Countering the opposition offensive, Congress members in the Lok Sabha were seen in the aisles waving copies of newspapers and raising slogans against the BJP. They displayed newspaper reports which said the BJP, in 2005, had told the Centre that auction of coal blocks will hit the industry.
The House plunged into turmoil as members of Opposition and Treasury benches clashed, with Congress members insisting that it was the BJP which had opposed auction of coal blocks and was blaming the Centre for it.
Interestingly, members of JD-U, a key constituent of the BJP-led NDA, did not join the BJP members in the Well. While the BJP has been on the offensive in demanding Singh`s resignation, the JD-U has been pressing for a debate.
"Pradhan Mantri Istifa do (Prime Minister should resign)," shouted the opposition members in the Rajya Sabha. In reply, the Congress members shouted "Pradhan Mantri Zindabad" and "UPA Sarkar Zindabad".
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill