Coalgate derails Parliament for third day
New Delhi: The proceedings of Parliament continued to be disrupted on Thursday with BJP members, who have been demanding resignation of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh over CAG`s findings on extending undue benefits to the tune of Rs 1.86 lakh crore on coal block allocations, rushing to the Well in both Houses renewing their demand.
Both the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha were adjourned till 12 noon amid chaos immediately after they assembled.
Rajya Sabha Chairman Hamid Ansari met leaders of all parties in a bid to end the deadlock but the meeting ended inconclusively.
The slogan shouting continued when both the Houses reassembled at 12 noon. The Lok Sabha Chair then adjourned the House first till 2 pm and then for the day, while the Rajya Sabha was first adjourned till 12.30 pm, then till 2 pm and finally for the day.
The government meanwhile today launched a counter-offensive on seeking to put BJP and the Left in the dock over their suggestions in 2005 against auction of coal blocks.
Countering the opposition offensive, Congress members in the Lok Sabha were seen in the aisles waving copies of newspapers and raising slogans against the BJP. They displayed newspaper reports which said the BJP, in 2005, had told the Centre that auction of coal blocks will hit the industry.
The House plunged into turmoil as members of Opposition and Treasury benches clashed, with Congress members insisting that it was the BJP which had opposed auction of coal blocks and was blaming the Centre for it.
Interestingly, members of JD-U, a key constituent of the BJP-led NDA, did not join the BJP members in the Well. While the BJP has been on the offensive in demanding Singh`s resignation, the JD-U has been pressing for a debate.
"Pradhan Mantri Istifa do (Prime Minister should resign)," shouted the opposition members in the Rajya Sabha. In reply, the Congress members shouted "Pradhan Mantri Zindabad" and "UPA Sarkar Zindabad".
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal