Coalgate: Eyebrows raised on Lalit`s appointment as CBI counsel
New Delhi: Eyebrows were raised on the appointment of senior advocate UU Lalit to appear for CBI in the Supreme Court in the Coalgate case with an allegation that it was a breach of professional ethics as he was engaged by a private party in coal block allocation matter.
"There is a conflict of interest as U U Lalit, senior advocate, had appeared on behalf of a mining company on November 19, 2012," advocate Prashant Bhushan, appearing for an, NGO Common Cause, told a bench headed by Justice RM Lodha.
Advocate Manohar Lal Sharma, who is also a PIL petitioner in the matter, also claimed there is a conflict of interest as Lalit has appeared in the coal matter for Bhushan Steels Ltd.
While the two advocates made the submission, Lalit preferred not to react and focused himself on the questions raised by the bench also comprising justices Madan B Lokur and Kurian Joseph.
Bhushan, who supplied a note on the matter, has put among other questions: can CBI engage a counsel who has been engaged by a private party in the same case?
Further, is it permissible for an advocate to be appearing for the accused and seek to advice the investigators, i.e. represent both sides? Is it not a breach of professional ethics?
Further, he raised the question: is a counsel not in breach of duty to the court if he misleads the court or suppresses the truth?
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- BCCI announces full-strength squad for Bangladesh, Harbhajan Singh makes Test return
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared