Coalgate: Four state governments under CBI scanner
New Delhi: Expanding the net further in the alleged coal scam probe, Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) will examine the role of four state governments in the alleged irregularities in the allocation of coal mines to private companies between 2006 and 2009.
As per reports, Friday, the CBI has asked the power and coal ministries of West Bengal, Odisha, Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh to furnish details about the procedure employed for the allocation of coal mines to 220 companies.
The central investigating agency is probing whether any ‘recommendations’ were made to favour some companies in allotting mines at cheaper rates.
The Central Bureau of Investigation had launched a preliminary inquiry into the alleged scam last month.
Two aspects are at the centre of the probe: Any misuse of allocation of coal blocks and/or misuse of coal blocks by private companies.
The CBI was asked by the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) to probe the complaints related to alleged losses to the public exchequer in allocation of coal blocks.
The CVC directive followed a complaint by Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MPs Prakash Javadekar and Hansraj Ahir, who alleged that the Prime Minister must be held accountable as he headed the coal ministry when most allocations were done.
Earlier, a draft report of the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) had stated that the government`s decision not to auction coal blocks caused a loss of Rs 1.8 lakh crore to the public exchequer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH