Coalgate: ‘Government should order probe’
New Delhi: The BJP on Saturday said a letter to Team Anna on the coal mining issue is not the need of the hour and the government should order a full-fledged probe into the scam to bring out the truth.
"We feel that just a letter from the PMO to Team Anna on `Coalgate` is not enough. A thorough probe is required. Even when the 2G Spectrum scam took place the PMO and Cabinet Ministers said there was zero loss", BJP spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain told reporters.
He maintained that it was the BJP which exposed this scam when its MPs Hansraj Ahir and Prakash Javadekar raised this issue and went to the CVC.
"Only a Preliminary Enquiry has been ordered into the `Coalgate` scam. A simple letter from the PMO will not do. Why is the government afraid of an investigation? It should announce a full-fledged probe into the matter," Hussain said.
Minister of State in the PMO V Narayanasamy wrote to Team Anna on the coal mining issue, insisting that the charges raked up have come from media and are not based on facts.
Narayanasamy has said in his letter that the impression Anna Hazare has about CBI and its functioning is wrong. He also rejected Team Anna`s demand for Special Investigation Team to probe allegations of corruption levelled by them. The PMO rejected the demand for setting up special fast-track courts for trying MPs accused of corruption.
"The country wants to know why the government is shying away from a probe," Hussain said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- Big clash of 2016: Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' head on with Prabhas and SS Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' at the Box Office?