Coalgate: Govt faces Opposition fire in Rajya Sabha; Lok Sabha adjourned
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
New Delhi: A day after the UPA government admitted that some crucial files related to coal block allocations have gone missing, the Opposition MPs on Monday created a ruckus in both Houses of Parliament.
The Opposition members were seen shouting anti-government slogans and sought an explanation from the Centre over the coalgate issue in Lok Sabha.
With the din continuing, Speaker Meira Kumar adjourned the Lok Sabha for the day. However, the House condoled the deaths of sitting BJP member Dilip Singh Judeo and victims of naval submarine tragedy before closing for the day.
Meanwhile, Rajya Sabha also witnessed uproarious scenes over demand for special status for Uttar Pradesh and rising onion prices in the country.
The chaos in the Upper House forced Chairman Hamid Ansari to first adjourn the House for 15 minutes and then till noon.
The Rajya Sabha Chairman also called an all-party meeting at 4pm to discuss the disruption rules.
Earlier this morning, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath said that Union Coal Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal will make a statement on the issue in Lok Sabha today.
The Opposition has blamed the government for concealing the truth and hiding important facts related to the coal block allocations.
The BJP has also demanded a CBI investigation into the case of missing files. Mulayam Singh`s Samajwadi Party, BSP led by Maywati and Janata Dal-United have also accused the UPA government of playing hide-and-seek over the issue.
JD-U leader Sharad Yadav too hit out at the Coal Ministry for the missing files of the coal allocation scam and said that it was the responsibility of the Coal Minister and the Secretary.
Yadav further demanded that the Central government must take immediate action against them.
The BJP has held Prime Minister Manmohan Singh responsible as he held the coal portfolio in 2004 and demanded his immediate resignation.
The Samajwadi Party, too, is up in arms. "It is a serious matter. I feel that many others are involved in this. The Coal Minister must clarify regarding the missing coalgate files. If he doesn`t do it, we`d have no option but to seek his resignation," said SP leader Naresh Agarwal.
The CAG has estimated a loss of Rs 1.86 lakh crore to the national exchequer.
Union Coal Minister Jaiswal had on Saturday admitted that some files related to the coal blocks allocation scam had gone missing. The Union Minister said the files between 1993 and 2004 are missing.
"768 files have been submitted to the Coal Ministry. It is true that some files are missing. We are trying to recover these files from the other ministries," Jaiswal had said.
A committee headed by an Additional Secretary of the Ministry is inquiring into how the files have gone missing. It will also coordinate with other government departments for tracing their copies of the missing files, Jaiswal said.
The CBI, on July 31, had said that at least five crucial files related to allotment of coal blocks during 2006-09 have not been received by it despite providing specific details.
CBI has so far registered 13 cases related to block allotments during 2006-09 for alleged misrepresentation of facts by the beneficiaries while applying for the blocks.
In June, the Coal Ministry had constituted an Inter-ministerial panel to look into the issue of missing files. The panel has so far held one meeting.
Some time back, the Coal Ministry had informed a Parliamentary committee that it is trying to locate lost and missing files on coal block allocation in the wake of Supreme Court saying the Centre for not aiding CBI with documents in its probe.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- CBSE XII Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared tomorrow