Coalgate probe: CBI Director meets Narayanasamy
New Delhi: Amid a controversy over the probe into Coal block allocation, CBI Director Ranjit Sinha on Friday discussed various matters related to the functioning of the central investigating agency with Minister of State for Personnel V Narayanasamy.
The meeting held at the Minister`s North block office assumes significance as it came close on the heels after the Supreme Court rapped the CBI for sharing its draft coal block allocation probe report with Law Minister Ashwani Kumar and two senior bureaucrats.
"The meeting was held to discuss administrative matters related to the CBI after the recent Supreme Court`s observations," Narayanasamy told PTI.
Narayanasamy, who is in-charge of the Ministry responsible for looking after administrative needs of the CBI, is also understood to have discussed ways to insulate the agency from external interference, official sources said.
The apex court had on Monday asked the government to make an effort to come out with a law before July 10 to insulate CBI from external influence and intrusion.
The sources declined to confirm whether the government was considering to set up an inter-ministerial group to check interferences in the working of the CBI.
"I am not aware of any such move," the sources said, referring to media reports in this regard.
The Central Vigilance Commission(CVC), meanwhile, has sought a detailed report from the CBI over the Centre`s interference in its investigation into the coal blocks allocation scam.
CBI, which is probing irregularities in allocation of coal mine blocks on the direction of CVC, has so far registered 11 FIRs in the matter.
The apex court had on May 6 rapped the CBI, Prime Minister`s Office and Coal Ministry officials for changing the "heart" of the coal scam probe report.
The CBI Director has admitted before the SC that its status report on the coal blocks probe was shared with the Law Minister and two joint secretaries, Shatrughna Singh and A K Bhalla, in the PMO and Coal Ministry respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31