Coalgate: UPA govt stands by Law Minister Ashwani Kumar
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The UPA government on Friday rejected Opposition`s demand for the resignation of Law Minister Ashwani Kumar, in the wake of the CBI filing an affidavit in the Supreme Court today admitting it had shared the draft status report on coal scam with the government.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath rejected the Opposition demand even as Law Minister Ashwani Kumar said he had done no wrong and that "the truth will prevail".
"The UPA chairperson and the PM have just had a meeting with UPA allies. The discussions centred around the non-functioning of Parliament and unacceptable demands of the Opposition parties," Kamal Nath told reporters here.
He added that there was no question of the Law Minister`s resignation.
The minister said the Supreme Court will decide on the affidavit, while sources added that the government will wait for the SC decision till April 30 when the next hearing in the case is due.
"The CBI director clearly said that only the draft status report was shared... not the final report," Kamal Nath said.
He said much of the content of the report is provided by the Coal Ministry. The PM also held the coal portfolio for some time, he added.
Kamal Nath further said "for the past nine years the BJP has been demanding PM`s resignation every three months. Let them win polls and come to power".
Setting off a political bombshell, CBI director Ranjit Sinha today submitted before the SC that the agency`s status report on coal allocation scam was "shared" with the Law Minister "as desired by him" and that senior officials of PMO and Coal Ministry had also seen it.
Sinha`s two-page affidavit filed on the direction of the apex court contradicts the claim made by CBI counsel on the last date of hearing that the coal scam report was not shared with any member of the government.
"I submit that the draft (status report)of the same was shared with Law Minister as desired by him prior to its submission before the Supreme Court....It was also shared with one joint secretary level officer each of Prime Minister`s Office and Ministry of Coal as desired by them," the affidavit said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla