Coalition governance time-consuming: Pranab
Mumbai: Weaknesses of national parties could be behind the continuance of coalition era in national politics, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee said on Saturday, terming coalition governance as "time-consuming and tortuous".
Mukherjee, who appears all set to occupy Rashtrapati Bhavan after being nominated UPA`s Presidential candidate, does not find coalition politics "bad" but feels a clear-cut verdict in favour of a national or a regional party made things easier for parties in power in states.
"Electorate are the same, the same electorate when they go to the provincial assembly polls, the tendency is to give a clear verdict in favour of either a national party or a local party. But the verdict is clear. Therefore, the party in power receives the mandate with adequate number of legislators to support the proposals, to support the desires of the ruling party," Mukherjee said addressing the AGM of Indian Banks Association.
"For the last 20 years, a series of national parliament elections, the electorate did not give (a clear mandate).....May be because of the weakness of the national parties," he said.
Mukherjee admitted lack of numerical strength was posing hurdles in ushering in reforms.
"Insurance penetration is not deep in India despite liberalisation of the policy. Full way we could not go, I agree and sometimes this causes frustration, particularly the prospective investors are stopped. But the ground reality is that to get a legislation through, you require the numbers," he said.
He, however, said everything about coalition was not bad.
"Coalition as such is not bad, it is good. Coalition helps but it is also a time-consuming and tortuous process. And we cannot lose patience because of the delay in taking decisions and implementing them," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj