Coalitions should be formed before polls: Speaker
Jaipur: Coalitions should be based on principle rather than opportunity and formed before elections, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Friday said.
On the concluding day of Presiding Officers` conference here, she said that coalitions should be formed by parties on the basis of their common programme.
On the subject of `Era of Coalition Government – its compulsions and challenges`, the common view that emerged during the discussion was that although coalition governments are not in the interest of the nation yet we cannot avoid them.
The Speakers were of the view that the legislative procedure should be strengthen to ensure adequate and proper scrutiny of laws before their enactment in order to achieve the goal of good governance, and the Constitution needs to be amended to provide for maximum numbers of sittings for legislatures to ensure proper scrutiny of legislation.
K Rehman Khan, Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha lamented that legislatures, of late, were abdicating their power to legislate so much that courts and members of civil society are now directing the legislatures not only to pass legislation
but also directing what should be contents of those bills.
He suggested that the views of the people should be taken into consideration by the legislatures in a proper manner.
Khan was also of the view that the Parliament should sit at least 110-120 days, the state legislatures for 90 days and small legislatures for a maximum of 60 days in a year and if need be, the Constitution should be amended to achieve this.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'