Coast Guard gets indigenously built offshore patrol vessel
Panaji: The Coast Guard on Sunday received
the first of the new class of offshore patrol vessel (OPV)
designed in-house and built by Goa Shipyard limited (GSL).
The GSL spokesman said the ship named `ICGS Vishwast`
is the first of the new class of three OPVs being indigenously
built in the yard for the Indian Coast Guard.
"The 93.89 meters vessel is equipped with
state-of-the-art navigation and communication equipment,
automated by an Integrated Bridge System (IBS), making the
ship a versatile platform," GSL said.
"Propelled by two engines, the OPV, with an extended
range of 4500 NM at a cruising speed of 12-14 knots, also has
oil spillage and external fire fighting capabilities," he
The spokesman said the vessel has been equipped with
one 30 mm CRN-91 Gun and HM/LM guns for policing maritime
zones and can operate the Advanced Light Helicopter.
"The machinery controls fitted in the vessel are on
one network system with multi-function work stations, ensuring
quick response with minimum number of personnel to man the
ship," he added.
The yard officials said the vessel is primarily
designed for rendering yeoman service in patrolling and
policing maritime zones, search and rescue operation, maritime
surveillance and anti-smuggling operation.
The vessel is capable of high speeds required for
interdiction of pirates, poachers and smugglers.
"The automatic power management system on board
ensures that normal and standby generators are switched on and
off automatically depending on the load without human
intervention," the spokesman added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly