Coast Guard gets indigenously built offshore patrol vessel
Panaji: The Coast Guard on Sunday received
the first of the new class of offshore patrol vessel (OPV)
designed in-house and built by Goa Shipyard limited (GSL).
The GSL spokesman said the ship named `ICGS Vishwast`
is the first of the new class of three OPVs being indigenously
built in the yard for the Indian Coast Guard.
"The 93.89 meters vessel is equipped with
state-of-the-art navigation and communication equipment,
automated by an Integrated Bridge System (IBS), making the
ship a versatile platform," GSL said.
"Propelled by two engines, the OPV, with an extended
range of 4500 NM at a cruising speed of 12-14 knots, also has
oil spillage and external fire fighting capabilities," he
The spokesman said the vessel has been equipped with
one 30 mm CRN-91 Gun and HM/LM guns for policing maritime
zones and can operate the Advanced Light Helicopter.
"The machinery controls fitted in the vessel are on
one network system with multi-function work stations, ensuring
quick response with minimum number of personnel to man the
ship," he added.
The yard officials said the vessel is primarily
designed for rendering yeoman service in patrolling and
policing maritime zones, search and rescue operation, maritime
surveillance and anti-smuggling operation.
The vessel is capable of high speeds required for
interdiction of pirates, poachers and smugglers.
"The automatic power management system on board
ensures that normal and standby generators are switched on and
off automatically depending on the load without human
intervention," the spokesman added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued