Coast Guard inducts patrol vessel `ICGS Vijit` in its fleet
Panaji: Indian Coast Guard (CG) on Saturday
inducted a new generation off shore patrol vessel, ICGS Vijit
in its fleet.
The ship, which was commissioned by union minister
of defense for state M M Pallam Raju, has been built by Goa
Shipyard Limited (GSL).
Officials said the state-of-the-art offshore patrol
vessel is 90 metre long has an Integrated Bridge System (IBS)
equipped with a contemporary navigation and communication
equipment and is also provided with a Platform Management
Propelled by two MTU engines, this vessel is capable of
26 knots and an endurance of 4500 nautical miles.
The vessel is also equipped with a 30 mm gun to counter
undesirable intruders and is fitted out for helicopter
It is the only vessel in the world with the large range
of capabilities for pollution control, fire fighting, search
and rescue, surveillance and patrol provided in a 90 meter
After the commissioning in a function held at port town
of Vasco here, Raju said coastal security apparatus for
dealing with the infiltration through sea on our shores is
already in place and being bolstered consistently with the
continued and increased interaction amongst all the
stakeholders in the maritime security.
Sureesh Mehta, High Commissioner of India to New Zealand,
was amongst the dignitaries present on the occasion.
ICGS `Vijit` on joining the fleet will be deployed
extensively for safety of the nation`s maritime zones and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day