Coast Guard regional HQ commissioned
Kolkata: The Coast Guard Regional Headquarters (North East) and co-located Station here were formally commissioned by West Bengal governor M K Narayanan on Monday.
Director-general of Coast Guard, Vice Admiral M P Muralidharan, and a large number of civilian and military dignitaries were present on the occasion.
The fifth Regional Headquarters of the Coast Guard here has been established in pursuance of the directives of the Cabinet Committee on Security, Coast Guard officials said.
The region itself was carved out of the Coast Guard Region (East) to strengthen coastal security and augment Coast Guard operations along the northern Bay of Bengal.
The region will exercise operational and administrative control over all Coast Guard assets in West Bengal and Odisha, having jurisdiction over 1.5 lakh sq kms of the Indian Exclusive Economic Zone, extending up to the India-Bangladesh International Maritime Boundary Line.
The region will be further strengthened by basing additional ships and aircraft and commissioning of two Coast Guard Stations, one each at Frazerganj and Gopalpur, and one Coast Guard Air Enclave at Bhubaneswar in near future, the officials said.
The governor stressed on the need for a pro-active approach by all stakeholders involved in coastal and maritime security to achieve the common goal of national security.
With the setting up of Coast Guard Regional Headquarters (North-East), coordination among all stakeholders involved in Coastal Security in West Bengal and Odisha would get further streamlined, enabling them to work in a synergized manner for the protection of the sea areas off the coast of both the states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!