Coast Guard rescues eight persons near Lakshwadeep Islands
Mumbai: The Indian Coast Guard on Thursday rescued eight persons who were adrift at sea near Lakshwadeep Islands, it said here.
The rescued persons, which included a woman and two children, had set sail in the fishing boat MFB Mussafariya from Kadamat island yesterday morning.
The boat was expected to reach Bitra Island, 40 milies away, by 4 pm. As it did not reach in time, the locals first tried to search for it, and then alerted the ICG headquarters at Kavaratti.
ICG sent out an interceptor boat and a Dornier aircraft. "The aircraft located the boat drifting 20 miles north-west off Kadmat Island," said an ICG official.
The boat had developed a technical snag, he said.
The ICG boat then rescued the eight persons, and towed the troubled boat to Kadmat Island.
"We also informed the locals that search and rescue at sea can become much easier if all the boats carry an operational Distress Alert Transmitter (DATs) and communication sets," said the official.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata