Coast Guard to fix oil leakage from MV Rak today
Mumbai: Diving operation to identify and plug the oil leak from the sunk cargo vessel M V Rak are expected to begin Thursday.
The announcement was made by the Directorate General of Shipping said yesterday, even as Coast Guard assured that the spill has decreased considerably.
Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) has been directed to make available a specialised diving support vessel to undertake the preliminary assessment of the leak, the DGS said
in a statement.
The local protection and indemnity (P&I) correspondent has also been instructed to engage an expert diving supervisor to guide the diving operations which are likely to commence in the early hours of Thursday, it added.
"The expert divers would identify the source of leak and, whether it is practicable and possible to plug the leak to check the outflow," the DGS said, adding that sea and weather conditions will have to be favourable for diving operations.
The P&I correspondent has told the DGS that it has hired the services of Titan Salvage to de-bunker the remaining oil trapped in the bunker tanks, the statement said.
Additionally, it has also advised the P&I correspondent to seek the expertise of International Tanker Owner Pollution Federation (ITOPF), a non-Governmental organisation, to assist in the conduct of survey mapping of the affected areas and provide guidance to the concerned authorities including owner to deal with clean-up operations.
MV Rak sank 20 nautical miles off the Mumbai coast while on a voyage from Indonesia to Gujarat. It was reportedly carrying 60,000 tonnes of coal; more importantly 325 tonnes of
fuel oil and 56 tonnes of diesel which is causing the environmental damage.
After going down to third of the peak-rate yesterday, the rate of oil leak showed an increase today apparently due to an increase in the speed of prevailing winds.
Meanwhile, Maharashtra Maritime board has reported fresh
small patches of oil traces on the Juhu beach and some tar
balls at Gorai in north Mumbai, the DGS statement said; but a
release from the Coast Guard said no fresh tar balls have been
reported on beaches.
Coast Guard ships Varuna and Amrit Kaur continue to
combat oil spill from sunken vessel M V Rak Carrier, the coast
guard statement said, adding helicopters and Dornier aircrafts
were also deployed in the effort.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation