Coast Guard to set up 16 radar networks
Chennai: Stepping up its vigil, the Coast Guard
has planned to set up 16 radar networks along the Eastern coastal region.
"..for enhancing the surveillance capabilities a Coastal
Surveillance Radar Network (CSRN) along the coastline is being
established, out of which 16 are planned for the Eastern
region," Coast Guard said in a release.
The Coast Guard said in a move to keep the exclusive
economic zone on the Eastern coast under continuous vigil, a
major thrust has been accorded by operating nine ships and
three aircrafts daily.
Besides, new Coast Guard stations at Krishnapatnam,
Nizampattnam, Kolkata, Frazergunj and Gopalpur were proposed
for commissioning this year, the release said.
A pollution control vessel under construction would also
be based in the region, it said.
Stating that the organisation has been undertaking search
and rescue operations round-the-clock, it said the Coast Guard
Eastern region has saved 203 lives in 2011-12.
Meanwhile, the Coast Guard today celebrated 35 years of
service, as a mark of which various programmes were held.
Tamil Nadu Governor K Rosaiah participated as the chief guest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred