Cold claims six lives in North India
New Delhi: Unabated cold wave claimed six lives in northern plains and temperature in Jammu and Kashmir and Himachal Pradesh hovered around freezing point throwing normal life out of gear.
The mercury in Leh, in the frontier region of Ladakh, was recorded at a low of minus 13.6 degrees Celsius while Kargil town recorded minus 12.8 deg C.
Six persons were killed in different parts of Uttar Pradesh during the last 24 hours. However, people of the national capital were relieved as the minimum temperature settled two notches above normal at 9 degree Celsius.
The maximum temperature also rose by 1.2 deg C from yesterday`s 16.5 deg C. The day temperature was recorded at 17.7 deg C which was three notches below normal.
Kashmir Valley and Ladakh division were worst hit by the cold as the mercury in most parts stayed below freezing point.
Srinagar recorded a low of 1 deg C, slightly lower than previous night`s minimum of 1.5 deg C, MeT Department said.
Pahalgam hill resort in south Kashmir saw the mercury plunging by four degrees to settle at a low of minus 10.4 deg C last night.
Gulmarg recorded a low of minus 7.8 deg C last night as compared to minus 7.6 deg C previous night. The mercury in Leh, in the frontier region of Ladakh, dipped slightly to settle at a low of minus 13.6 deg C as compared to the previous night`s minus 12.8 deg C.
Nearby Kargil town recorded a low of minus 12.8 deg C as against the previous night`s minus 13.0 deg C.
In most parts of UP, cold wave and fog continued to affect normal life.
The cold claimed lives of three persons in Bhadohi district, sources said. Another three persons were today killed in Firozabad district when a motorcycle was hit by a truck due to fog.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam