Cold prevails in North India
New Delhi: Cold tightened its grip in North India Friday as minimum temperatures dipped below normal across the region.
In capital Delhi, the maximum temperature was recorded at 22.8 degrees Celsius, one degree more than the normal and the minimum temperature was 7.6 deg C, one less than the usual.
Amritsar was the coldest place in the two states with the minimum temperature at 4.6 deg C which was one degree above normal. Hisar in Haryana recorded a low of 5.8 deg C.
The minimum temperatures at most places, including Chandigarh, Ambala, Bhiwani, Karnal, Narnaul, Ludhiana and Patiala were either at normal level or above normal, a MeT office spokesman said.
In Kashmir, `Chillai Kalan`-- the 40 day period of harsh winter-- made an anti-climatic entry as bright, sunny and clear skies marked the first day today.
Gulmarg skiing resort in north Kashmir and Pahalgam in south Kashmir and some other areas in the periphery of the Valley have witnessed snowfall last week but the weather has remained dry since then.
The clear skies have, however, resulted in drastic drop in night temperatures across the Valley with Gulmarg recording a low of minus 10.8 degrees Celsius last night.
Pahalgam resort also saw the mercury dipping to a low of minus 8.2 degrees Celsius while in rest of the Valley the minimum temperature stayed around three degrees below freezing point, an official of the MET department said.
Leh town was the coldest place in the state recording a minimum of minus 17.2 degrees Celsius followed by Kargil town at minus 13.8 degrees C, a drop of over 5.0 degrees compared to this day last year at both places.
The cold wave in the Valley began earlier this year than the normal period of `Chillai Kalan` due to snowfall in higher reaches during the last week of November and early December.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Divorce rates lowest among Hindus; more prevalent in Muslims, reveals latest Census data | Know details
- Persistent cough? Five possible causes and why you should see your doctor!
- Gerard Pique agrees with extra holidays for Neymar
- Politics over Yoga? BMC makes 'Surya Namaskar' mandatory in all affiliated schools in Mumbai
- Russia might use Iran air base again to carry out attacks on terror targets in Syria