Cold wave: Death toll climbs to 366 in N India
New Delhi: Intense cold conditions prevailed
in most parts of north India today where the toll so far this
winter climbed to 366 even as dense fog returned to the
national capital disrupting flights and train services.
The 12 fresh casualties were reported from Uttar Pradesh
which alone accounts for 337 cold related deaths. Authorities
have ordered closure of all schools in the state up to class
eight till January 17.
Chilly winds swept across Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh
with the Met office forecasting fall in minimum temperatures
in the region in the next few days.
Narnaul was the coldest place in Haryana with a minimum of
2 degrees Celsius, while in Ambala it was 3.2 deg C. Cold
conditions prevailed in Chandigarh as the minimum settled at 5
deg C, while in Punjab, Amritsar recorded a low at 3.2 deg C.
Cold conditions worsened in Jammu and Kashmir as mercury
dipped by a few notches because of clear skies. The night
temperature dipped to minus 3.6 deg C in Srinagar from minus
1.4 deg C yesterday.
Pahalgam, a hill resort in south Kashmir, was the coldest
place in the state with a minimum of minus 6.2 deg C against
minus 3.6 deg C yesterday. Kupwara in north Kashmir had a
minimum of minus 3.5 deg C.
The night temperature in Leh was recorded at minus 20.4
deg C as against minus 17 deg C yesterday and Kargil recorded
minus 16.5 deg C. Jammu registered a drop in night temperature
recording 3.8 deg C.
Mercury rose marginally in Shimla though higher reaches of
Himachal Pradesh reeled under sub-zero temperatures with
Keylong being the coldest at minus 11.3 deg C.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown