Cold wave: Death toll climbs to 366 in N India
New Delhi: Intense cold conditions prevailed
in most parts of north India today where the toll so far this
winter climbed to 366 even as dense fog returned to the
national capital disrupting flights and train services.
The 12 fresh casualties were reported from Uttar Pradesh
which alone accounts for 337 cold related deaths. Authorities
have ordered closure of all schools in the state up to class
eight till January 17.
Chilly winds swept across Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh
with the Met office forecasting fall in minimum temperatures
in the region in the next few days.
Narnaul was the coldest place in Haryana with a minimum of
2 degrees Celsius, while in Ambala it was 3.2 deg C. Cold
conditions prevailed in Chandigarh as the minimum settled at 5
deg C, while in Punjab, Amritsar recorded a low at 3.2 deg C.
Cold conditions worsened in Jammu and Kashmir as mercury
dipped by a few notches because of clear skies. The night
temperature dipped to minus 3.6 deg C in Srinagar from minus
1.4 deg C yesterday.
Pahalgam, a hill resort in south Kashmir, was the coldest
place in the state with a minimum of minus 6.2 deg C against
minus 3.6 deg C yesterday. Kupwara in north Kashmir had a
minimum of minus 3.5 deg C.
The night temperature in Leh was recorded at minus 20.4
deg C as against minus 17 deg C yesterday and Kargil recorded
minus 16.5 deg C. Jammu registered a drop in night temperature
recording 3.8 deg C.
Mercury rose marginally in Shimla though higher reaches of
Himachal Pradesh reeled under sub-zero temperatures with
Keylong being the coldest at minus 11.3 deg C.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks