Cold wave leaves 288 dead, North India faces intense chill
New Delhi: Biting cold sweeping North India
claimed 288 lives with 30 more deaths reported from Uttar
Pradesh on Monday, even as flight and train operations were normal
in the absence of fog.
The fresh casualties were reported from Bahraich (6),
Balrampur, Barabanki and Muzaffarnagar (4 each), Sitapur (3),
Jaunpur, Sultanpur, Gorakhpur and Faizabad (2 each) and
Lucknow (1), taking the toll in the state to 262 this winter,
official sources said.
In Varanasi, temperature hovered around 4.4 degree C, four
notches below normal.
Cold wave swept across Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh
with mercury falling by up to three notches below normal.
Amritsar was the coldest place in Punjab with a low of
1.2 degrees Celsius, while in Haryana, Ambala registered a low
of 4.1 deg C, three notches below normal.
Night temperature in Kashmir and Ladakh showed an upward
trend, while Jammu recorded a drop in mercury at 4 deg C, four
degrees below normal. The winter capital of Jammu and Kashmir
had recorded a minimum of 5.3 deg C yesterday.
Banihal was the coldest place with a low of minus 2.6 deg
C and Bhaderwah minus 0.6 deg C.
The night temperature in Leh was minus 20 deg C against
minus 21.4 deg C yesterday. But, there was no change in night
temperature in Kargil which recorded minus 17 deg C.
Pahalgam, a hill resort in South Kashmir, reeled under
cold conditions with a low of minus 6.6 deg C, while Srinagar,
which had recorded night temperature of minus 4.6 deg C
yesterday, recorded a low of minus 4.2 deg C today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in