Cold wave leaves 288 dead, North India faces intense chill
New Delhi: Biting cold sweeping North India
claimed 288 lives with 30 more deaths reported from Uttar
Pradesh on Monday, even as flight and train operations were normal
in the absence of fog.
The fresh casualties were reported from Bahraich (6),
Balrampur, Barabanki and Muzaffarnagar (4 each), Sitapur (3),
Jaunpur, Sultanpur, Gorakhpur and Faizabad (2 each) and
Lucknow (1), taking the toll in the state to 262 this winter,
official sources said.
In Varanasi, temperature hovered around 4.4 degree C, four
notches below normal.
Cold wave swept across Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh
with mercury falling by up to three notches below normal.
Amritsar was the coldest place in Punjab with a low of
1.2 degrees Celsius, while in Haryana, Ambala registered a low
of 4.1 deg C, three notches below normal.
Night temperature in Kashmir and Ladakh showed an upward
trend, while Jammu recorded a drop in mercury at 4 deg C, four
degrees below normal. The winter capital of Jammu and Kashmir
had recorded a minimum of 5.3 deg C yesterday.
Banihal was the coldest place with a low of minus 2.6 deg
C and Bhaderwah minus 0.6 deg C.
The night temperature in Leh was minus 20 deg C against
minus 21.4 deg C yesterday. But, there was no change in night
temperature in Kargil which recorded minus 17 deg C.
Pahalgam, a hill resort in South Kashmir, reeled under
cold conditions with a low of minus 6.6 deg C, while Srinagar,
which had recorded night temperature of minus 4.6 deg C
yesterday, recorded a low of minus 4.2 deg C today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray