Cold wave sweeps North, five die in UP
New Delhi: Cold wave swept vast swathes of North India with five persons succumbing to the chill in Uttar Pradesh and thick early morning fog affecting road, rail and air traffic at various places.
Three persons, including a woman, were killed in Ballia district, while one each died in Maharajganj and Barabanki districts since last evening, officials said.
In Delhi, residents woke up to a foggy morning and the minimum temperature settled two notches below normal at 5.9 degrees, Met officials said, forecasting a foggy morning for tomorrow.
Poor visibility due to dense fog affected air traffic at the IGI airport, with schedule of nearly 100 flights getting affected due to bad weather.
In Jammu and Kashmir, skiing resort of Gulmarg recorded a minimum of minus 7.6 degrees Celsius, while Pahalgam in south Kashmir recorded a low of minus 7.4 degrees Celsius.
Srinagar recorded a minimum of minus 4 degrees Celsius last night, the coldest of the season so far.
In Himachal, cold wave conditions continued to persist, with early morning fog engulfing most of the areas.
Mercury remained below normal by several notches in various parts and Keylong in the tribal Lahaul and Spiti district remained the coldest place at minus 10 degrees.
Punjab and Haryana also reeled under cold as minimum temperature dropped by two to seven notches at many places today, with poor visibility due to fog affecting rail and road traffic.
Hisar remained the coldest place in the region where mercury dipped to five notches below normal to settle at 1.8 degrees Celsius.
Amritsar shivered at a low of 2.2 degrees Celsius, two notches below normal and the minimum at Narnaul settled at 3.5 degrees Celsius, three notches below normal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why