Collegium system for ECs,CAG: Karuna backs Advani
Chennai: Backing LK Advani`s suggestion for a collegium to appoint Election Commissioners and CAG, DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Tuesday said the BJP leader`s views could not be ignored and expressed confidence that the Centre would accord due importance to it.
"I am also in agreement with the contents in the letter (of Advani). It cannot be ignored just because it is the opposition view," the DMK patriarch said writing in the party mouthpiece Murasoli.
Karunanidhi, whose DMK is a key UPA ally, said, "Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the central government will accord importance to the opinion and consider those views."
Advani, in a letter to the Prime Minister on Sunday, had voiced concern over the present system of appointment by the President on the advice of the Prime Minister.
He had suggested that posts like Election Commissioner and Comptroller and Auditor General of India be appointed by the "broad-based collegium," comprising the Prime Minister, the Chief Justice of India, the Law Minister and the Leaders of Opposition in the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha.
Advani had written to the Prime Minister suggesting opposition involvement in selection of CEC and CAG, saying the current system was open to "manipulation and partisanship".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Donald Trump`s anti-immigration stance spurs surge from Central America
- Israel rejects UN appeal to release Gaza employee
- Nicolas Sarkozy tells comeback rally he would ban burkini across France
- Hillary Clinton tops 50 percent support from US voters in latest poll
- Qayyara liberated from IS terrorists: Iraqi PM