Colonel to face court martial for "ill-treating subordinates"
New Delhi: A senior Army officer will face a General Court Martial (GCM) after he was indicted by a Court of Inquiry (CoI) for "ill-treating subordinates and
misusing manpower and government vehicles".
"Our CoI had found Colonel VK Sehgal, an artillery officer, guilty of some of the charges levelled against him in a letter received by the General Officer Commanding (GOC), 12 Corps, from a jawan and he will now face a GCM," Army sources told a news agency here.
The CoI was initiated after a Havaldar wrote a letter to the then 12 Corps Commander Lt Gen AM Verma leveling allegations against Sehgal like "ill-treatment of subordinates, misuse of manpower and misuse of government vehicle."
"During the investigation, some more serious irregularities committed in his command were detected," they added.
The sources said the officer was attached to the 4 Armoured Brigade for the disciplinary proceedings to be carried out against him.
However, Sehgal had challenged the proceedings against him in the Armed Forces Tribunal (AFT) saying the action was taken after his wife refused the Corps Commander to render any help in preparing a Coffee Table book.
"Now, the AFT has also given sanction for going ahead with the GCM and it is likely to begin soon," they said.
The GCM will be presided over by a Brigadier-rank officer, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February