Colours of gulal, and taste of gujiya - Holi Hai!
New Delhi: Yellow, red, green, purple - the vibrant colours jostled for prominence as people sprayed gulal and water on each other and distributed sweets on Sunday to celebrate Holi.
From the morning, children armed with water guns, or pitchkaris, filled with coloured water and buckets with water balloons roamed the streets in small bands, spraying colour on others to shouts of "Holi hai!"
Families played Holi in their front lawns or gardens, splashing buckets of water on each other to whoops of joy and screams from unsuspecting victims.
Many kids preferred to throw balloons on revellers from the safe confines of their verandahs or terraces.
Sweets, especially the traditional gujiyas, were the order of the day. Many exchanged sweets and greeted each other while smearing gulal.
Police were posted at pickets across the city.
In crowded urban pockets, the celebrations were more robust.
Large bands of revellers, armed with coloured water - deep purple, black and silver - smeared anyone they came across with colour. Traditional drum beaters played the dholak and earned money and sweets at many homes.
"I joined the celebrations in my colony. It was fun, we smeared gulal on each other," said Akshay, a 14-year-old in a south Delhi colony,
The more adventurous downed the intoxicating bhang to add zest to their celebrations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened