Comment on Keralite nurses: Chandy wants Vishwas to apologise
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy on Tuesday demanded an apology from APP leader Kumar Viswas for his alleged derogatory remarks against the nurses from the state.
In a letter to Aam Aadmi Party leader and Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, Chandy wanted him to prevail upon Vishwas to withdraw the remarks and tender an apology.
"It is most unfortunate that the Aam Aadmi party is tight -lipped regarding the derogatory remarks on Malayalee nurses," he said.
The Kerala Cheif Minister said that Malayalee nurses were a pride for Keralites, their services is praised world over.
Making such derogatory remarks about them is most unfortunate and not fit for a developed society," Chandy added.
The comments of Vishwas against Malayali nurses made during a speech at Ranchi in 2008, uploaded in a social networking site recently, had sparked strong protests across Kerala, especially from the Congress.
The AAP state unit has also voiced resentment at Vishwas`s comment.
AAP office was allegedly ransacked by Youth Congress activists at Kochi yesterday.
All-India Vice-President of the Mahila Congress Bindu Krishna, had demanded that a criminal case be registered against the AAP leader for making "sexist comments" against Malayali nurses, who had a reputation for rendering exemplary services in hospitals within and outside the country.
Joining the chorus of protesters was eminent Malayalam writer and activist Sara Joseph, who last week joined AAP.
"Remarks of Vishwas are totally deplorable. I strongly protest at it. I expect that the AAP leadership will come out with a clarification on the issue," Joseph told the media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!