Commissioning of Kudankulam 1st unit imminent: India to Russia
Moscow: India on Monday conveyed to Russia that the commissioning of the first unit of the controversial Kudankulam nuclear power plant in Tamil Nadu was "imminent any day".
"The unit is at a sub-critical stage and the commission is imminent any day", visiting External Affairs Minister told Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin during the inter-governmental commission meeting with Russia here today.
The assurance held out by India on the commissioning of the first unit of the plant has soothed the Russian side which is upset over the delay in the commissioning due to protracted protests by anti-nuclear activists.
"The Russian side is happy about the assurance made by the External Affairs Minister", MEA spokesman Syed Akbaruddin told reporters after the meeting.
During the meeting, the two countries also agreed to speed up the commissioning of the second unit of Kudankulam atomic power project, more than 93 percent of whose work has already been completed.
A Joint Study Group is likely on the Customs Union, an economic alliance featuring Russia, Kazakhstan and Belarus, to discuss nuclear cooperation with India and how to go forward in this area.
The meeting also discussed cooperation in oil and gas sectors and "very futuristic things" like setting up of an energy pipeline from Russia to India, Akbaruddin said.
The hour-long delegationp-level IRIGC meeting was co-chaired by Khurshid and Rogozin, which was preceded by a 60-minute meeting "restricted" talks between the two leaders.
India is keen for a stake in Sakhalin-III oilfields and also for ONGC Videsh Limited for exploring and developing oilfields in hydrocarbon-rich Siberia.
Later, Khurshid headed for New Delhi, winding up his two-nation visit to Kazakhstan and Russia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins