Committed to peaceful, friendly ties with Pakistan: India
New Delhi: India Thursday said it remains committed to building peaceful and friendly ties with Pakistan and expects it to abide by the commitment to prevent its territory and territory under its control from being used for terrorism against India.
In a written reply to Rajya Sabha on the government`s policies and programmes for enhancing bilateral relationship with SAARC countries, Minister of State for External Affairs Gen V K Singh said India will continue to engage pro-actively with all members of the grouping.
On Pakistan, he said the government remains committed to building peaceful, friendly and cooperative ties with Pakistan in an environment free from terror and violence.
"It is India`s desire to intensify and accelerate the process of trade normalisation and implement the steps agreed in September 2012 at the Commerce Secretary level," he said.
The Minister said the government hopes that bilateral relations with Pakistan will progress in economic, cultural and political fields in the same manner that India`s relations with her other SAARC neighbours have progressed in the recent years, built on partnerships for development and mutual prosperity.
"It is India`s expectation that Pakistan abides by its commitment to prevent its territory and territory under its control from being used for terrorism against India," Singh said.
Meanwhile, underlining that India has a close strategic partnership with Afghanistan covering a broad spectrum of areas including an active role in providing development and reconstruction assistance to Afghanistan, he said New Delhi is working with Kabul for its regional integration with the SAARC economy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof