Committee of secretaries to take call on continuance of IAP
New Delhi: A high-level committee has been constituted to review the implementation of Integrated Action Plan (IAP) for Naxal-hit areas following objections being raised by certain Ministries.
The Committee of Secretaries, which include Union Home Secretary R K Singh and Planning Commission Secretary Sindhushree Khullar, will also see whether the IAP, currently being implemented in 82 worst Maoist-affected districts should continue in the present form.
It will submit its report within a month, official sources said.
The Rs 5,350 crore special grant programme for development of backward regions was started from 2010-11. The funds are to be placed at the disposal of a Committee headed by the District Collector and consisting of the Superintendent of Police of the district and the District Forest Officer.
The district level committee have the flexibility to spend the amount for development schemes according to need, as assessed by it.
The Committee draws up plans consisting of concrete proposals for public infrastructure and services such as school buildings, aanganwadi centres, primary health centres, drinking water supply, village roads, and electric lights in public places.
Though the IAP has been highly successful, Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh had said the development works under the plan should have more political involvement with active participation of elected representatives of local bodies.
"This `Trimurti` (District Collector, Superintendent of Police and District Forest Officer) set up is not enough. There has been no active involvement of local elected representatives. Therefore, the money does not get spend where it should be spent," Ramesh had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read