Committee on leveraging Panchayat Raj institutions call on Mukherjee
New Delhi: An expert committee on leveraging Panchayat Raj institutions for the more efficient delivery of public good and services called on President Pranab Mukherjee on Saturday.
They made a presentation on the contents of its 20th anniversary report at Rashtrapati Bhavan here.
The committee was constituted by the Union Ministry of Panchayati Raj on August 27, 2012 under the chairmanship of Mani Shankar Aiyar.
Other members of committee who called on the President included Peelipose Thomas, Manabendra Nath Roy and Member Secretary MV Rao.
The committee has in its recommendations said that there is a need to constitute a National Panchayat Commission to oversee the cooperative effort of the Centre and States to strengthen Panchayati Raj.
The committee also said that there is a need to provide for District Councils through an appropriate amendment of the Constitution as a single local government at the district level for better urban-rural convergence and equal treatment of urban and rural people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter