Committee to look into welfare of senior citizens
New Delhi: An expert committee has been constituted by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment for the welfare of senior citizens.
The move comes in the backdrop of the approval given by Planning Commission to a proposal for the establishment of a National Commission for Senior Citizens.
This information was shared in the Lok Sabha by Minister of State in the Social Justice and Empowerment Ministry Manikrao Gavit.
"The Planning Commission has approved the proposal of the `Working group on social welfare to formulate the XII Five Year Plan` to establish a National Commission for senior citizens."
"Accordingly the ministry has constituted an Expert Committee to formulate a new scheme," Gavit said.
He noted that study conducted by organisation HelpAge India it had been reported that police helplines and services are known to majority of respondents but were never used due to lack of trust or to maintain family honour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- 'Second Hand Husband' review: Fails to impress