Committee to study implementation of Forest Rights Act
New Delhi: Aiming at better management of
forests, the government on Thursday set up a committee to study the
implementation of Forest Rights Act and define a new role for
Forest Department and gram panchayats for conservation and
regeneration of the resource.
Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF) and Ministry
of Tribal Affairs have jointly set up a 10-member committee
under Devendra Pandey, former director general, Forest Survey
of India, according to a notification.
The committee will study the impact of the Forest Rights
Act on forest management and suggest necessary policy changes
for better management of forestry sector.
The panel, which will also identify the role of stake
holders and beneficiaries in forest management, will submit
its report in three months.
Parliament in 2006 passed the Scheduled Tribes and Other
Traditional Forest Dwellers (Recognition of Forest Rights)
Act, which is known as Forest Rights Act. The law relates to
the rights of forest-dwelling communities to land and other
resources, denied to them for decades.
The MoEF constituted the committee after two rounds of
meeting with Ministry of Tribal Affairs on the issue of
implication of the Act on sustainable forest management.
The committee will recommend measures on sustainable
forest management and protection of rights of forest dwellers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Gael Monfils to face Ivo Karlovic in Washington Open final
- Olympics 2016: IOC faces historic call on Russia Rio ban
- Kashmir unrest over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew lifted from these four districts - FULL DETAILS
- Salman Khan plans a special birthday party for alleged girlfriend Iulia Vantur? - Know more
- Major water crisis in Chandigarh, Mohali and Panchkula - Know reason behind it