Commoners can`t seek removal of Lokpal as govt drops clause
New Delhi: Government has removed a clause in the Lokpal Bill which allowed any citizen to move for the removal of the anti-corruption ombudsman.
According to another official amendment circulated by the government in the Rajya Sabha, the Lokpal Bill will be applicable to a state only upon passing a resolution by the state legislature.
Instead of adopting the resolution, the state legislature can also enact a law keeping the Lokayukta provision in the Lokpal and Lokayukta Bill as a model resolution, said the amendments moved by Minister of State for Personnel V Narayanasamy.
The bill in its earlier form made it necessary for states to create a Lokayukta on the lines of Lokpal at the Centre.
Now, only MP can move for removal of a member or the head of the Lokpal panel.
Two clauses in the Bill, moved in the Rajya Sabha during the last winter session which allowed the President or any citizen to move for their removal, have now been dropped.
According to the amendment, the move for removal can be made only through a petition signed by not less than 100 MPs.
"...Supreme Court, on a reference being made to it by the President on a petition signed by at least one hundred Members of Parliament," read the amendment to Clause 37.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi