Commonwealth countries discuss compulsory voting
New Delhi: The Commonwealth Network of National Election Management Bodies (CNNEMB), a network of electoral commissions of the 54 commonwealth nations, which met here on Thursday, discussed ways to increase voters` participation.
Chief Election Commissioner of India, Dr SY Quraishi here, inaugurated the meeting of the working group of CNNEMB, on voter education and electoral participation today.
Election Commissioners VS Sampath and HS Brahma also attended the meeting. Besides senior officials from the Election Commission, the working group included representatives from South Africa, Kenya and the Commonwealth Secretariat.
Opening the meet, Dr SY Quraishi called upon member countries to work jointly for strengthening election system and processes. He said that voter education should be the response to the debate on compulsory voting.
Sampath and Brahma highlighted the increased participation in the recent elections in India, following the policies and programmes adopted by the Commission.
Commonwealth officials presented the Observer Groups findings on voters` participation. The ECI team presented the Indian experience and good practices, which were appreciated by the participants.
The Election Commissioner from Kenya gave an overview of the country experience in the evolution of voters` education and participation.
The issue of compulsory voting was discussed at length. The action points emerging from the consultations would be shared among Commonwealth countries.
The working group will continue its meeting tomorrow to finalise a set of formal recommendations.
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- We've better things to do than targeting Rahul Gandhi: Venkaiah Naidu
- Delhi govt backs cabbies, moves SC requesting to remove diesel taxis in phased manner
- Sachin Tendulkar accepts IOA's invitation to become India's Goodwill Ambassador for upcoming Rio Olympics
- IPL 2016: Gujarat Lions vs Delhi Daredevils - Possible XI, date, time, venue, TV listing, live streaming
- Fed up of repeated ads on odd-even featuring Arvind Kejriwal? Watch this viral video slamming Delhi CM