Communal violence: 427 deaths in 3 years
New Delhi: Communal violence has become a
major cause of concern for the government with as many as
2,420 such incidents reported from across the country in past
three years that resulted in the death of at least 427 people.
According to Home Ministry statistics, 53 people were
killed and 1,059 injured in 338 incidents of communal violence
this year till August. Of these incidents, 10 people were
killed on September 14 in Rajasthan`s Bharatpur district while
four persons lost their lives in Rudrapur town in
Uttarakhand`s Udhamsingh Nagar district on October 2.
"Communal violence has become a major cause of concern
for the Centre. We have advised the state governments
concerned to deal with such incidents firmly as communal
disturbance could have far reaching consequences in the
society," a Home Ministry official said.
In 2010, 114 people were killed and 2,115 injured in 651
incidents of communal violence in the country.
In 2009, 123 people died and 2,417 were injured in 773
incidents of communal clashes while another 123 lives were
lost in 656 incidents of communal violence in 2008. More than
2,270 people were also injured in those clashes in that year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of deaths at unmanned railway crossing in UP
- DNA: Analysis of deaths at unmanned railway crossing in UP- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of deployment of 100 Indian battle tanks in Ladakh border region
- DNA: Analysis of deployment of 100 Indian battle tanks in Ladakh border region- Part II
- DNA: Court acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching case
- UNBELIEVABLE! Cristiano Ronaldo to have an international airport named after him
- Islamic State group claims second German attack in a week
- Former Apple executive is back to lead company's car project
- Mumbai Taxi-rickshaw strike 'put on hold'
- VIDEO: Sushil calls Narsingh's doping row 'unfortunate', wants fellow wrestlers to win medals at Rio