Communal violence: 427 deaths in 3 years
New Delhi: Communal violence has become a
major cause of concern for the government with as many as
2,420 such incidents reported from across the country in past
three years that resulted in the death of at least 427 people.
According to Home Ministry statistics, 53 people were
killed and 1,059 injured in 338 incidents of communal violence
this year till August. Of these incidents, 10 people were
killed on September 14 in Rajasthan`s Bharatpur district while
four persons lost their lives in Rudrapur town in
Uttarakhand`s Udhamsingh Nagar district on October 2.
"Communal violence has become a major cause of concern
for the Centre. We have advised the state governments
concerned to deal with such incidents firmly as communal
disturbance could have far reaching consequences in the
society," a Home Ministry official said.
In 2010, 114 people were killed and 2,115 injured in 651
incidents of communal violence in the country.
In 2009, 123 people died and 2,417 were injured in 773
incidents of communal clashes while another 123 lives were
lost in 656 incidents of communal violence in 2008. More than
2,270 people were also injured in those clashes in that year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof