Communal violence: 427 deaths in 3 years
New Delhi: Communal violence has become a
major cause of concern for the government with as many as
2,420 such incidents reported from across the country in past
three years that resulted in the death of at least 427 people.
According to Home Ministry statistics, 53 people were
killed and 1,059 injured in 338 incidents of communal violence
this year till August. Of these incidents, 10 people were
killed on September 14 in Rajasthan`s Bharatpur district while
four persons lost their lives in Rudrapur town in
Uttarakhand`s Udhamsingh Nagar district on October 2.
"Communal violence has become a major cause of concern
for the Centre. We have advised the state governments
concerned to deal with such incidents firmly as communal
disturbance could have far reaching consequences in the
society," a Home Ministry official said.
In 2010, 114 people were killed and 2,115 injured in 651
incidents of communal violence in the country.
In 2009, 123 people died and 2,417 were injured in 773
incidents of communal clashes while another 123 lives were
lost in 656 incidents of communal violence in 2008. More than
2,270 people were also injured in those clashes in that year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda